Working on Presentations to Get Ready for the Certification Exam

As I have to do some exams and a seminar that were already planned and could not change this with my regular B2 groups, what I did for the presentation project was to use Genial.ly to help a student prepare for the monologue part of the certification exam to obtain the C1 certificate. In this post I am going to explain how we did it and what the result was.

First, I told him he had to make a 5 minute presentation about something related to a country which was not the UK, the USA, Australia or New Zealand and I added the restriction that it had to be out of his comfort zone. He chose to speak about China’s response to Coronavirus, which I found really interesting because it would allow him to speak about medicine, science and politics, which are very important topics in the C1 curriculum.


Secondly, I sent him a podcast and an article about the topic and told him to summarise them to me orally and to note down all the specific vocabulary he thought would be useful. This way he acquired new language and I made sure about his comprehension and mediation skills too.

Third, I worked with him on structure. For this, he created with my help a structure that can be adapted to any presentation or monologue task involving introduction, development and conclusion and thinking of different mechanisms to link the parts of the text (rhetorical questions, linking words, ways to introduce examples, etc.)

After that, I gave him one day to prepare with the help of a visual presentation. I also gave him the rubric I was going to evaluate him with, so that he could know in advance what would be required.

When he delivered the presentation, I assessed him according to his language performance and I also assessed the visual presentation, which is not required in the exam but is very useful for him at a professional level. Regarding this, he told me he thinks he is going to use Genial.ly in a professional context because it is very easy to use and the result is very impressive.

As far as attentive listening is concerned, this activity was helpful for me to become familiar with the new rubrics at the official school of languages. After evaluating this presentation, I have realized these try to prioritize communication over correctness and make examiners write less and therefore pay more attention to the whole of the student’s performance. If you are curious, you can see the new assessment sheets here. You can also look at the genial.ly presentation the student made hoping that you find it attractive.

Source: Pixabay

Comentarios